Picture this: It’s the year 5017. Your coffin is dug up from the mausoleum you built specifically for the purpose of sheltering your earthly remains.
It’s carted to another planet and put on display in a post-modern museum/aquarium where octopus perform tricks with hula hoops, not because they’re forced to, but because they’re really into it – by that time I imagine whatever the dominant species is, they’ve figured out how to communicate with octopi – the point is, how would you feel about your coffin with your remains being on display?
I think it’d be pretty awesome as long as the octopus tricks were tasteful and not, you know, lewd.
Your passport contains the distilled essence of Australia. Study its images carefully during the interminable minutes in line at Immigration. Each image is a puzzle piece. Fit them together, and you will know what it is to be Australian.
Australian passport images, in order of appearance
- Parliament, featuring the largest free-standing stainless steel structure in the southern hemisphere
- A kookaburra who really wants you to know about travel insurance
- A Tasmanian devil suffering lockjaw
- Surf lifesaving chicks about to launch floaty things into the water
- A camel caravan
- A thorny devil
- A depressed wombat
- A water tank, windmill-thing and what might be a station house
- People sitting on car bonnets observing a horserace
- An even more depressed platypus
- A man being cruel to a herd of cattle
- An open-mouthed saltie
- A smarmy koala
- A noble dingo who definitely hasn’t eaten any babies this week
- Two scuba divers checking out coral
- A page translated into French, Australia’s unofficial second language
- A pointy-nosed chipmunk?
- A highway leading to distant hills, with trees
- A love-struck emu
- An RV hitched to a ute, maybe Uluru in the background?
- A bearded dragon who’s ready to party
- A kangaroo whose grandfather was a horse
- Two ladies in togs holding a rope in knee-deep water staring down a big wave
- A lone surfer
- A patriotic eagle, the eternal symbol of Australian freedom
- Just a regular echidna
- A rural town hotel that definitely has a pub
- A semi-truck (the designers must have been getting desperate at this point)
- A sulphur-crested cockatoo who just came out of the dryer
- Maybe a bilby?
- Girls playing rugby in skirts because females play sport too
- Another lizard-type thing – wait, is that a goanna?
- Sailboats on a harbour
- A man in an overcoat and fedora staring off towards some power lines or possibly a fence with a definite serial killer vibe
- Also a lot of plants. Give me a break, I’m not a botanist.